Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Bang

It was a beautiful day, I spent almost the whole day with D’s mum chit-chatting at the Chinese sinseh shop and running some errands on a lovely public holiday. This was what I thought so not until later in the evening. While I was driving my way to D’s house, there was this “Mr. Big Car-but-somehow-blinded-for-not-looking-his-car-front-mirror” reversed and banged into my pathetic SLK. He didn’t stop and come down to look at my car. And neither did me. Instead, I trailed the Toyota Camry and honed him to stop at the roadside. We reached a mutual signal to stop at the shoplots nearby. Thinking back, this was a dangerous act and I shall instead motion him to stop at the shoplots at first place. Back then, I was trembling in fear and my hands were shaking when I reached out to my phone to contact D and my cousins to come to rescue. It was very hard for me to keep a cool head as I thought my car bumper came off and i don't dare to come off from my SLK to look at the damage for safety concern. The first thing I uttered to him was “Nei fat kai man ar?” loosely translate in Chinese as “R u blind?”. Thinking back, this was also another inappropriate act I shall just ask him to wait for my relatives to come and sort the problem. The next thing I realised, tears were flowing down from my cheek. I was shaken up.

The culprit was feeling guilty I guess as he kept apologised to me upon looking my teary face. I didn’t say much to him just asked him to wait for my cousin brother to come and rescue. For fear that he might left the place, I asked for his contact information and took a snap at his and the damage to my SLK. Then, I went back to my SLK while waiting for my cousin brother. Thank God that my cousin brother managed to negotiate for on-site compensation. It was not alot but I guess it’ll be enough to cover the damage.

Tips for you guys out there if you get into an accident:
1. The first rule of thumb is to keep everyone safe
2. If possible, drive your car to the side of the road to keep yourself out of the way of traffic- CHECKED
3. Approach the drivers of the other cars involved in the accident, but remember to keep a cool head. *Tips from me: If for female drivers, is better to contact a reliable male family/friend/co-worker
4. Collect contact information from the other drivers and do not confess to anything until you speak with your insurance company
5. The most crucial information is their license plate numbers, driver's license numbers, full names, telephone numbers and addresses. Also collect their insurance information if possible- CHECKED
6. Take pictures of the overall scene of the accident, as well as specific damage to your vehicle and the other vehicles involved- CHECKED
7. After collecting information from the other drivers and documenting the damage, call the police to file an accident report, and then call your insurance company
8. If anyone involved in the accident has been injured, the very first thing you must do is to call 999

P/s: Just keep your head and make safety your primary concern

2 comments:

  1. thank God u are all right. hey, the first thing to do when hit by car is to snap a picture before you move your car. it's important evidence especially when you are innocent hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea thank God~ Yes,correct especially if the damages are severe~ Luckily,he didn't run away~

    ReplyDelete